0800 085 9800
Hot cross bun loaf
Back to recipes
- In an upright mixer, combine strong flour, Macphie Spice Bun Concentrate, caster sugar, yeast and water.
- Mix using a dough hook for one minute on first speed then on second speed for 8-10 minutes until dough has developed.
- Add sultanas, currants and mixed peel to the developed dough and mix on first speed only until they are evenly distributed through the dough. Be careful not to over mix.
- Divide the dough into 80g pieces and mould. Place six dough pieces into a prepared 1lb loaf tin and proof for 45 minutes at 36°C/85%H.
- For the top of the loaf, combine 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of cold water to make a smooth paste.
- Once the dough has proofed, pipe crosses on top of the loaves using the above mixture.
- The loaves are now ready to be put in the oven at 220°C/425°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Once baked, brush the tops with simple syrup to give a nice shine.
- 1kg strong flour
- 100g Macphie Spicy Bun Concentrate
- 100g caster sugar
- 75g yeast
- 510g water
- 600g sultanas
- 300g currants
- 100g mixed peel
- Simple syrup